Meet Dr. Rick Wolfe
Sophisticated technology needs expert skills and Dr Rick Wolfe is one of Australia's most accomplished and experienced eye surgeons. Dr Wolfe is internationally recognised and is regularly asked to speak and present his own statistics as well as conduct live surgery at world eye surgery conferences.
In 2004 he was invited to perform wavefront laser surgery in front of 2000 of his colleagues at The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons in San Diego. Later in 2004 he was invited to share Vistaeye's results at the Brazilian Congress of Ophthalmology. Dr Wolfe has been an ophthalmic surgeon for over 20 years and has been a pioneer in laser refractive eye surgery since it began in Victoria in 1991.
Following his medical education at Monash University, and medical and surgical residency in Melbourne hospitals, Dr Wolfe discovered a passion for surgery in ophthalmology. He undertook his specialty training at The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. Dr Wolfe became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists in 1984.
During his career in ophthalmic surgery Dr Wolfe has played a leading role in introducing and refining techniques in cataract and refractive surgery in Australia. Dr Wolfe's achievements include:
- Commenced phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many ophthalmologists this procedure in Australia and overseas. Today it is the procedure of choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Now the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons. He lectured widely on this technique.
- Some years ago Dr Wolfe pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery which is now becoming popular.
- One of the first surgeons in Victoria to perform LASIK and ASLA eye surgery.
- Dr Wolfe has been working in the refractive field since its inception and has lectured in Australia and internationally. He was a founding member and director of the Melbourne Excimer Laser Group.
- Dr Wolfe has been an office bearer with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists and is a former Chairman of the Victorian branch.
- Dr Wolfe was the co-founder and is the current treasurer and Vice President of The Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons.
- He is currently an International Councillor for the International Society of Refractive Surgeons.
- He is an Ophthalmic Advisor to the Australian Defence Force and has over 20 years of service in the Royal Australian Navy Reserve. He holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander.
- In 1986 he founded Peninsula Eye Centre, where he has been Medical Director since.
Book your complimentary consultation