Laser eye surgeon and vision correction specialist, Melbourne
Dr Rick Wolfe is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced laser eye surgeons and vision correction specialists. He is globally recognised and is regularly invited to speak and present his own statistics as well as conduct live surgery at international eye surgery conferences.
Background & Qualifications
Dr Wolfe has been an ophthalmic surgeon for over 30 years and has been a pioneer in laser eye surgery since it began in Melbourne in 1991.
Following his medical education at Monash University, and medical and surgical residency in Melbourne hospitals, Dr Wolfe discovered a passion for surgery in ophthalmology and undertook his specialty training at The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
Dr Wolfe then became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and a Fellow of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) in 1984.
As an Australian Defence Force Reservist of over 30 years and Lieutenant Commander (Ret.) of the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, Dr Wolfe understands the visual needs and concerns of our service men and women. In his role on the ADF Consultative Committee of Ophthalmology, he is an adviser to the ADF’s policy on laser eye surgery.
During his career in ophthalmic surgery Dr Wolfe has played a leading role in introducing and refining techniques in refractive and cataract surgery in Australia. Dr Wolfe’s achievements include:
- He is one of the first surgeons in Australia to perform LASIK and ASLA eye surgery. He has personally performed over 23,000 laser eye procedures.
- Dr Wolfe has been working in the refractive field since its inception and has lectured in Australia and internationally. He was a founding member and director of the Melbourne Excimer Laser and Research Group.
- Commenced phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many ophthalmologists this procedure in Australia and overseas. Today it is the procedure-of-choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Now the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons. He has lectured widely on this technique.
- Dr Wolfe pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery in Australia, which is today the standard of care.
- He is an Ophthalmic Advisor to the Australian Defence Force and has over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve. He holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).
- In 1986, he founded Peninsula Eye Centre, where he has been Medical Director since.
Appointments & Memberships
- Founder and Medical Director of Peninsula Eye Centre (Mornington) since 1986 and VISTAeyes (Elsternwick) since 1996
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Visual Standards Committee
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Clinical Standards Committee
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Co-founder of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- AUSCRS – Secretary and treasurer
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons (ISRS) – Member and former Councillor
- Australian Society of Ophthalmologists (ASO) – Member
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) – Member
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) – Member
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) – Member
- Ophthalmic Advisor to the Australian Defence Force. He has over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve and holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).