Laser Eye Surgery Specialist, Melbourne – VISTAeyes
Dr Rick Wolfe is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced Laser Eye Surgery Specialist. He is globally recognised and is regularly invited to present on his surgical expertise and latest innovations at international eye surgery conferences.
Wavelight plus advanced laser eye surgery now available at Vista Eyes as seen on Channel 7 News.
In this video, Dr Rick Wolfe explains the 3 steps of the VISTAeyes laser eye surgery journey:
Background & Qualifications
Dr Wolfe has been a pioneer in laser eye surgery since it began in Melbourne in 1991 and has performed over 28,000 laser eye procedures.
Following his medical education at Monash University, and medical and surgical residency in Melbourne hospitals, Dr Wolfe discovered a passion for surgery in ophthalmology and undertook his specialty training at The Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital.
Dr Wolfe then became a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and a Fellow of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO) in 1984.
As an Australian Defence Force Reservist of over 30 years and Lieutenant Commander (Ret.) of the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, Dr Wolfe understands the visual needs and concerns of our service men and women. In his role on the ADF Consultative Committee of Ophthalmology, he advised the ADF regarding refractive surgery policies.
Dr Wolfe recently founded the World College of Refractive Surgery and Visual Sciences (WCRS) and has been awarded the designation of Fellow, a testament to his unwavering dedication and remarkable contributions to the field of Refractive Surgery worldwide.
Achievements as a Laser Eye Surgery Specialist
During his career in ophthalmic surgery Dr Wolfe has played a leading role in introducing and refining techniques in refractive and cataract surgery in Australia. Dr Wolfe’s achievements include:
- He is the first surgeon in Victoria to perform LASIK and LASEK eye surgery. He has personally performed over 28,000 laser eye procedures.
- Dr Wolfe has been working in the refractive field since its inception and has lectured in Australia and internationally. He was a founding member and director of the Melbourne Excimer Laser and Research Group.
- Commenced phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many ophthalmologists this procedure in Australia and overseas. Today it is the procedure-of-choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Now the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons. He has lectured widely on this technique.
- Dr Wolfe pioneered a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery in Australia, which is today the standard of care.
- He is the former Ophthalmic Advisor to the Australian Defence Force and has over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve. He holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).
- In 1986, he founded Peninsula Eye Centre, Mornington, where he was Medical Director for 37 years.
Appointments & Memberships
- Founder and Medical Director of Vista Eyes Laser Eye Clinic (Elsternwick) since 1996
- Founder and Fellow of the World College of Refractive Surgery and Visual Sciences (WCRS)
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (FRANZCO)
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Visual Standards Committee
- RANZCO – Chairman of the Clinical Standards Committee
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- Co-founder of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons (AUSCRS)
- Founder and Former Medical Director of Peninsula Eye Centre (Mornington) 1986 – 2023
- AUSCRS – Member and former Secretary and Treasurer
- International Society of Refractive Surgeons (ISRS) – Member and former Councillor
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) – Member
- American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) – Member
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS) – Member
- Over 30 years of service in the Royal Australian Naval Reserve, holds the rank of Lieutenant Commander (Ret.).