At VISTAeyes, our aim is to help you achieve your dream of being free of glasses and contact lenses. That is why, from your initial consultation, through to your last post-operative appointment, you will feel cared for every step of the way.
Step 1: Your initial consultation
You can book your free, no-obligation consultation online or by calling us on 1800 50 50 49. For your convenience, we offer consultations during the week and also on Saturdays.
During your consultation, one of our trained patient care consultants will explain the various vision correction procedures available, as well as the benefits and risks.
One of our optometrists or orthoptists will then thoroughly assess your vision. A number of tests will be performed to comprehensively assess the function and health of your eyes. We will then discuss which procedures you may be suitable for and how they will address your individual needs.
Feel free to bring along all of your questions and we will endeavour to answer them thoroughly. You will receive all the information that is relevant to your condition and treatment.
Depending on the results from your consultation, we may require for you to return for an additional appointment with Dr Wolfe or you may request to return to see Dr Wolfe to help you make an informed decision. Either way, this is a good opportunity for you to discuss any specific questions you may have regarding the procedures.
Please allow 1.5 hours for your initial consultation.
Step 2: The day of your laser eye surgery
It’s an exciting day! Your life is about to change for the better.
Preparing for surgery:
- Soft or disposable contact lenses must be left out 7 days (or as advised) prior to surgery
- Hard or RGP contact lenses must be left out 4 weeks (or as advised) prior to surgery
- Please do not wear any make-up, moisturizer, cologne, perfumes or after shave on the day of surgery
- Avoid wearing fibrous or fluffy clothing
- Take any prescribed medication as normal
- You should have breakfast or lunch as normal before arriving for your procedure
Depending on the procedure, you will usually be in theatre for approximately 20 minutes, however you can expect to be at the clinic for approximately 2.5 hours.
Step 3: Post-operative after care
You will need to arrange to have a friend drive or relative drive you home from surgery and to your first post-operative appointment.
Don’t make any plans for the evening of your surgery but instead plan to have a restful evening.
Dr Wolfe will provide you antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops to use after the surgery to assist healing and prevent infection. Your eyes may feel a little dry over the next few weeks and you will be given lubricating eye drops to assist with comfort.
How Soon Before I Can…
- Wear make up? 1 week (eye make up only), next day (all other make up)
- Have a shower? Same day but avoid getting water or soap in your eyes
- Wash my face? Same day but avoid the eye area
- Go back to work? LASIK – 2 days, ASLA – allow 5-7 days
- Go swimming? 1 week
- Exercise? 1 week strenuous exercise but no contact sports for two weeks
- Drive? Most LASIK patients can drive following their post-operative appointment the next day. ASLA patients will be advised when they can drive, usually 5-7 days after surgery.
- Rub my eyes? 1 week (gentle rubbing at first)
- Fly in a plane? Next day but we prefer you remain in the country for at least 2 weeks following your procedure
- Use a computer? Next day, however the quality of your vision may fluctuate
A comprehensive post-operative plan will be explained to you and it will depend on the type of procedure you have. This will also include your post-operative appointments until you are discharged.